IYCOC Youth Leadership Board Meeting doc is avalible here —-IYCOC 2-23-14 minutes
February 23, 2014 Minutes @ Congregation B’nai Israel
Youth attendees: Courtney Widerman, Kurt Huckleberry, Keemia Kasravi, Sameer Khan, Cecilia Hurtado and Cecilia’ s friend Andrea.
Adult attendees: Doris Longmead, Safura Khan and Mike Penn
Adult guests: Steve Wiebe and his assistant Aisha Elmari.
- Before meeting chatter:
– Zoroastrians made a mural to display at the art show Saturday (Yay!)
– Courtney is talking to her youth members this weekend (as we all should)
– Keemia is going to play a piece on the piano and might bring singers (go Keemia!)
– Hindu’s might do a Bollywood dance performance
– Everyone should bring at LEAST 20 of their faith members to the Youth Forum
- Reflection of Judaism (By. Courtney Widerman):
– There are three main type of Judaism
- Conservative -> men and women are equal; dress is not traditional; follow traditional rules; people of the book;
- Orthodox-> traditional
- Reform -> 2nd biggest; less strict about traditional rules and mostly about social reform
- Facilitator Training:
– Don’t ask why questions
- Ask How? Or What? Questions
- Courtney will be in charge of keeping track of all facilitators
- Youth Leadership Business meeting:
- Each and every member of the IYCOC Youth Leadership Board is asked to make an announcement to their congregation informing them about the Faith Festival and encouraging everyone to attend.
- Faith Festival and Forum (Friday and Saturday):
– We have 10 religions sponsoring an information booth along with 5 booths sponsored by interfaith, community and cultural organizations.
– Information Booth sponsors are going to start setting up at 10:30 am on Saturday and need to man the tables until 1:30 pm.
– Doors open to the public at 11:30 am
– We need to tell the organizations that they can leave fliers and any other materials they would like on their tables for the Youth Forum on Sunday.
– The Acts that we have so far:
1) A vocalist from Rosary
2) A Sikh Tabla drummer
3) Hindu Bollywood dance
4) An LDS Ballerina
5) Piano by our darling Keemia
6) Servite worship band
7) Jains are doing a dance (classical Indian)
8) An LDS female vocalist
9) A Muslim play
10) Buddhist prayers chanted by Cecilia
11) A choir from Rosary
– Armando Cervantes is in charge of food or snacks
– Everyone is encouraged to show up Friday night 5 pm at Rosary High School to help set up
– Apurva is manning the Interfaith drink booth
– We will need to ask for permission to hang banners, posters etc. on the walls
*If we get the ok please bring masking tape (NO DUCT TAPE we do not want to ruin the walls)
- Faith Forum (Sunday):
– Google Excel sheet will be used at check in on Sunday
– Nametags are done! (and they look marvelous thank you Pranati and Mr. Shah!)
– We also found the candles!
– The Santa Clara Interfaith Teen Council will NOT be staying overnight (we need to plan for their transportation (7 kids 2 adults) from and to OC airport
– The Catholic Diocese of Orange County is making the folders this year
- Steve Wiebe made a presentation about his organization, New Vision Partners and the three day leadership program they will be putting on this summer, “Interfaith Youth Leadership Initiative”, June 23-25
- Steve and his associate Aisha will be at the Faith Festival and the Youth Forum with information about their summer program.
- You can earn community service hours
- Steve Wiebe is interested in starting an LA country Interfaith Youth Council
- He wants our IYCOCO input and participation for this summer three day leadership program
- You can register online for the summer program at www.iyli.wwbly.com
- There is a $100 scholarship if you participate
- Spread the word!
- Please look his organization up on Facebook and like!
- Interfaith Inventions Director, Anthony Marsh, has announced that their 2014 Youth Leadership Summer Camp will be held from June 22 – 27th in Malibu.
- Mr. Marsh will have an information booth at our Faith Festival.
Date and location for the next IYCOC Youth Leadership Board will be from 5 – 6 pm at Rosary High School, 1340 Acacia Ave. Fullerton.